Sausages and lentils are one of my favorites dishes in winter, and here is a quick recipe for you my poor non French people! I love making this dish because it takes about 7 minutes to actually make, and can feed the whole family, including meal for the next day… Also lentils are great for your health, especially French lentils, les Lentilles du puy.
I shot a video live on my Facebook page, and some of you asked for the written recipe so here it goes.
6 kielbasa sausages
2 slices of thick bacon
1 cup green French lentils
Salt and pepper
How to make it
- Put a large French oven over medium heat.
- Cut the bacon in 1/2′ wide sticks and throw in the pot. No oil or butter needed, just let the bacon sweat its fat. Add 1/2 of the onion, minced, to the pot. Then add the sausages (prick them with a fork first). Peel the carrots and cut them in 1 inch sticks, add them to the pot.
- Add the lentils, stir well.
- Nail the cloves in the other half of the onion.
- Add to the pot, then pour 2 cups of water, and add a bay leaf or two. Bring to boiling point, then lower the heat to simmer, cover and let it simmer for 2 hours.
Bon appétit les amis!
PS Here is the Facebook video I shot live!